Tuesday 18 October 2011

Questionaire Data Analysis

After recieveing some answers to my questionaire, I gathered the data into a simple tally chart, though simple, it should tell me the information I need to know quickly; This is what I gathered.

Gender: From the collection of people that done my questionaire, it shows that they were mostly male, this could tell me that the genre of music my video is going to be should be directed at males. Although, other research could show that females are actually the predominant audience for my music genre.

Education: Most of my audience are currently in college/A levels.

Music Genre: The biggest music genre my audience seems to like is rock, although the secondary genres were acoustic, pop and rock.

Acoustic1152%
Electronic1152%
Pop1257%
Rock1676%
Metal524%
RnB629%
Jazz733%
Country419%
People


Acoustic versions vs Orignal: There was a tie in votes between yes, the acoustic is better than the orignal, and no preference.

Purchase format: A majority of people put iTunes/Download, so this will possibly effect what format I distribute my video/music through.

Music video concepts: the most popular choice for this was a storyline based music video, which is something I have planned to do. All other choices gained the same amount of votes.

Performance/footage of the artist838%
Romantic629%
Conceptual/Abstract/Unusual838%
Story line based943%
Fantasy733%


Do music videos influence your purchase: the majority vote in this was yes.

Song Lyrics: the most popular choice for this was Romantic lyrics, with everyday life, although this could be justified with how everyday life could include romance.

Romance1467%
Everyday life1152%
Fantasy733%
Death/Depressive629%
Abstract/Random838%


Artists / Musicians: John Mayer was the most popular of the musician given, despite how a majority of votes were given to "None of the Above" this could show that many people who done my questionaire are not interested in the musician that influence my music, and this means I possibly need to look for a more specific group of people to draw data from.

What/why music video's appeal: some of the comment I obtained included: They appeal to everyone, narratives follows lyrics, you can relate to the, the convey interesting concepts.

Album Artwork: Photography was the most popular choice, with artwork and sketches being the second. When it comes to designing/create my album cover, I shall take these into consideration.

Social Networking: Facebook and Twitter were the most popular websites people use, with google + haveing more votes than both bebo and myspace.

This is a summary of what I have learned from the Questionnaire, and how it will affect my project:

  • Genre wise, my audience likes acoustic versions of songs, and like a pop-rocky type, therefore I can keep to the song I planned on using, also, Romantic lyrics were what people chose in the lyrics question, and my song undoubtedly has these.
  • The preferred style of the music video is storyline based, also with footage of the artist performing, and this suits the idea for my video perfectly.
  • Most people chose that they download there music off iTunes or some other sort, so I will need to keep this in mind when choosing distribution methods.
  • With album artwork, the popular choice was photography, and the idea I have already suits this, though it may be subject to change, if I choose to combine elements of the second choices: artwork and sketches with it.

1 comment:

  1. excellent work

    add a summary in bullet points outlining how this research has influenced your final choices and plan

    ReplyDelete