Tuesday 11 October 2011

Ancillary Product One - Digipack Cover

One of my ancillary products will be the cover art for my Digipack, and this could be a variety of things such as photos, art and sketches.

Sometimes album artwork has meaning or a relation to the album title, or the songs within. Although as of yet I still have not finalised a title for my digipack, I have had an idea for the cover:

This photo is quite simple, yet portrays a very realistic interpretation of what the album contains, and what the songs are about.

I could use this picture as it is, but an idea I had was to get it sketched by a skilled artist to give the photo a more rough and artistic flare, thus complimenting the music more. I have already found and requested someone to do this, but at this moment I am awaiting the results, and will upload the picture when I obtain it.

Using Photoshop, I have played about with various effects on the image, and uploaded them into a Flickr slideshow:

Effects of these include black and White, charcoaled and sketched. The black and white gives the whole image a classic and darker feel, which will work well with the Digipack, and the black and white elements within my video.


I will show these to some of my target audience, and recieve there opionions/critisisms.

Edit: I have shown these to a small focus group, and the general response was that the favorites were between the original color version, and the sketch version. Views on the sketched version were that it was liked for how defined it was, and would give a very nice effect for an album cover.

1 comment:

  1. a lovely idea Sam - you need to
    1) write the brief for the commissioning artist and post it on here
    2) ask for drafts for you to annotate and evidence aesthetic decisions
    3) ensure the aspect ratio is accurate
    4) provide evidenced reasons for your choice of artist plus alternatives

    ReplyDelete